Tuesday, August 31, 2010

First Post!

Welcome, readers!

This is the first post on my first blog, so I’m not sure what to expect.  I’ve never been very good about writing regularly (my attempts at journals tend to fall flat), so the future of this blog is somewhat uncertain, but writing is always worth another shot!
The focus of this blog will be Catholicism.  I am a convert to the Roman Catholic Church, having joined about a year and a half ago, on the Easter Vigil (April 11, 2009), at St. John’s Catholic Newman Center at the UIUC.  I’m very happy to be Catholic.  I’m often amazed at the richness and beauty of Catholic teaching, and I would love to be able to reveal the richness and beauty of Catholicism to all those who are unaware it.  I also plan to confront a lot of the differences between Catholicism and Protestantism.  There will also be more trivial posts where I complain about the lack of reverence in a lot of Catholic parishes today (do you realize how hard it is worship when, instead of an organ, your church has kids playing the kazoo!?!).

I joined the Church from Evangelical, non-denominational Protestantism.  I have been very blessed to with Protestant friends and family who, while they don’t agree with my conversion, have not been at all hostile.  I’m glad to be able to maintain a connection with the community in which I grew up.  Because of my past (and present) association with Protestants, many of my posts will be written with a Protestant perspective in mind.  A lot of posts will no doubt come out of conversations I have with Protestants.  Let me say in advance that I have great respect for my separated brethren, so please understand that if I ever cause offense, it is unintentional.

The decorations around here are still a little sparse.  I’m planning on getting some pictures and links up soon!

Pax vobiscum,
-Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment